Monday, March 13, 2006

The Homeless Have Feelings Too

I was on my lunch break today and I decided to get away from the office for a bit. Plus I had some work to do for my dad - I had to pay off some his gambling debts, so it was more of a matter of I HAD to go on lunch. No worries though, I decided I was going to spend his money on something more worthwhile like a keg of Heineken. Hope my dad doesn't get too upset with his new life in a wheelchair.

I pulled up to the Jan Smuts - 4th Ave. intersection in Rosebank and as is the norm in Northern Joburg this Homeless Dude starts haggling me. He was an old white dude too lazy to stand and beg, he was sitting on a deck chair, had no teeth and smelt like a mixture of urine and cheap whiskey. By no choice of my own I pull up next to him and since I forgot my radio in the office I had nothing to drown out his bitching and so Homeless Dude starts talking to me.

Obviously smitten by the Civic he says to me: "when am I getting my car back?"
"Class clown 'ey?" I think to myself. I just smile sarcastically like most people do when they are trying to ignore the homeless.
For some reason he still wants to make friends and carries on, "don't look so miserable friend."
How can you not be miserable when you work in technical support! Retard homeless schmuck!
I reply, "I would be happier if I had a five hour lunch." I dig deeper and retort "actually, I would be REALLY happy if I didn't have to work at all!"

I drive off, Homeless Dude is left aghast.

PS. I just thought I'd post that pic because there is something morbidly distrubing about it. Call me crazy...

No comments: