Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Not so-Elegantly Wasted

I have a friend named JP. We have been friends for close to ten years now.

When we go out, and drink it normally ends up in a trainwreck of a night. We get completely hammered, and then go around causing all sorts of mischief and killing the ladies. Oh yeah. Round about 1am we normally start talking about how Thin Lizzy was the best band in the world and that we have to go to Ireland in order to visit Phil Lynott's mom's place to see the shrine room and to have our picture taken with his statue in Dublin.

A particular evening however stands out in my mind.

I have another friend, called Holly (she's hot, oh man). Now, I've known Holly for about seven years and being an East Rand girl, she likes the sauce as well.

Ok well Holly doesn't really play that much of a part in this story, but it was her idea that we go out (after not seeing each other for close to two years).

After a bit of conversing, it was decided that we would head to a local watering hole in Boksburg. We get there, and kick off with some beers. After about 2/3 hours of steady drinking, the cover band that was playing was still as shit as they were before we were intoxicated.

We got the hell out of there as they started their 'percussion solo' and headed down the road to the News Cafe.

(this is not Holly, just a Google Image search result for "happy drunk")

So we hit the News Cafe - Holly goes straight to the ladies' (what is with you women?) and myself and JP make a beeline for the bar. First thing we notice is the rather cute barlady. She notices JP's shirt (he was wearing a Famous Stars and Straps shirt) and comments on it. I say "Hey, whaddaaboudisone?" and show her my Coheed and Cambria shirt, figuring that if she knew about Famous Stars and Straps, she'll knowa bout CoCa. She does. I'm a hero. We order Jack 'n Lime and Jagerbombers and it's round about this time that we actually should have stopped drinking and gone home like responsible people. But we didn't. We order Jack 'n Lime & Jagerbomber after another and a few hours later Holly is out for the count and heads home. Myself and JP were not quite yet done though.

JP spots a girl that we were in college with and her friend and walks over to talk to (and probably offend) them. He's quite good at that. I'm still by the bar, tethering dangerously on the stool. Cute ms Barlady comes around (oh by the way, we established a bit earlier on in the evening that Barlady is the sister of an acquaintance that we have in the music industry. Anyways.) and starts talking to me. This is what I had to say to her.

"You know what? I'm actually a miserable person.
I'm not happy with what I do for a living. I'd rather be playing music, you know that?
In fact, I'm only happy when I've been drinking.
Or if I've been playing bass.
Or both."

Was I just talking shit to her because I was drunk?
Or was I being completely honest about how I feel, because I was drunk.

We might never know.
I sometimes lie awake at night and ponder these things.



Ok well not really, I couldn't be bothered.
See you at the bar! Oh yeah!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hay dude.....man...drinking like that will only result in one thing....dido......

good base can only be played on jack... i mean .. have you heard dido....??


good hunting base man....SHOCK THE MONKEY...

ps call jessi some time before he dies...