Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Test Drive

I finally got a chance to test drive the new Civic. They still have a waiting list of two months for anybody looking to buy the damn thing. Its all good, I'm not rushing into the purchase at this moment in time.

My thoughts from the test drive: its different. From the way it looks to the orientation of the controls this is unlike any other Civic! Ever! Full stop! I use to own a '98 Ballade (known as the Civic Sedan everywhere else except in SA where we still kept the Ballade badge for some un-explainable reason) and I currently own a 2004 Civic, I've also had the opportunity of driving other/older Civic models. From my experience and in my opinion between 1980 and 2005 the interior orientation of the Civic's instumentation has remained relatively unchanged. Your indicators on the right, windscreen wipers on the left etc. The new Civic has gone and changed everything around. Its not a bad thing either. Everything is still in easy reach and ergonomically designed, but different from previous models. Nifty features include a digital instrumentation panel, climate control and full-house essentials (ie. airbags, traction control, ABS etc.) Blah blah blah, all in all it is an awesome car!

Performance wise, I was expecting a lot more bang from the ride. The Vtec growl is back but it lacks the awesome power that made the original Vtec's legendary. Don't get me wrong it's a zippy car with efficient torque at the lower rev's but you expect a bit more punch when you put your foot down. Maybe its the futuristic look of the car that gives an impression it should launch like a rocket. Or maybe its the fact that the salesman was 200kg over the NHO's morbid obesity levels and anything smaller than a Hemi V8 would struggle under the mass loads. He was a good salesman even though (in his words): "Sorry my English are not so good, I are from the Free State..." None the less, its a fantastic car that will get heads turning, considering there is a 2 month waiting list this is a car worth the wait. But if you can wait a year there's the little matter of ...

1 comment:

The Merchant said...

I dunno.

I still prefer the Circa 1990's Civics.

http://www.compraventa.com/ad_pics_new/62/621147637113110.jpg